Indian Spirit Meets German Excellence
Headquartered in Pune, Maharashtra, the Volkswagen Group in India is represented by five brands: SKODA, Volkswagen, Audi, Porsche and Lamborghini. The Indian journey began with the launch of SKODA in 2001. Audi and Volkswagen entered in 2007, while Lamborghini and Porsche were introduced in 2012. Today, the Group upholds its mantle of superior engineering, with plants in Pune and Aurangabad working seamlessly to manufacture the world's most loved cars.
- 2007: Volkswagen India launched in India with the iconic Passat.
- 2008: Launch of the Jetta
- 2009: Volkswagen brought in two of its globally popular vehicles - the New Beetle and the high-end SUV Touareg.
- 2010: Launch of Vento and the distinctly luxurious car Phaeton.
- 2011: Re-introduced the all new Passat and the Volkswagen Jetta.
- 2015: Launch of the 21st century Beetle.
- 2016: Introduction of the Volkswagen Ameo and the Polo GTI
- 2017: Re-launch of the Passat and introduction of the Volkswagen Tiguan
- 2020- Launch of the Volkswagen Tiguan Allspace
- 2020- World premiere of the Volkswagen Taigun
- 2020- Launch of the Volkswagen T-Roc
- 2021- Launch of the Volkswagen Taigun.
- 2022- Launch of the Volkswagen Virtus
10 years of Polo
The Volkswagen Polo has been winning hearts and accolades across India. It’s fun-to-drive, powerful character coupled with timeless design made it the hottest hatch on the streets, even touting a 4-star NCPA safety rating. With over 14 million units being sold the world over, the Polo enjoys universal acclaim even today and is considered a beacon of German Engineering. Volkswagen India celebrated 10 years of this beloved hatchback in India in 2019.
The Volkswagen Pune Plant
The Volkswagen plant in Chakan occupies a total area of over 2.3 million square metres (572 acres), with buildings covering about 1,15,000 square metres.
A workforce of over 3,500 people was engaged in building it during its peak construction stages. The plant was built in a record time of 17 months.
The plant has a production capacity of up to 200,000 vehicles a year in a full three shift system.
The Honourable Governor of Maharashtra, His Excellency Shri. S. C. Jamir and Prof. Dr. Jochem Heizmann, officially inaugurated the new plant on March 31, 2009, in the presence of nearly 500 international guests.
The facility is the only production plant operated by a German automaker in India that covers the entire production process, from press shop through body shop and paint shop to final assembly.
Experience German engineering come to life
Volkswagen introduced India to one-of-the-best German automotive technologies. Every Volkswagen plying on the Indian roads since then, has been built at Volkswagen India plant, situated in the industrial hub of Chakan, Pune.
Visit the Volkswagen Chakan Plant, one of the most advanced & well equipped facilities of the Volkswagen Group, and you’ll get to experience German Engineering made in India.
Book your Plant Tour today!
For Educational Institutes, Corporate and private Groups. We accommodate special visits too, on request.